Raipur Master Plan 2021 has been created for Raipur. Raipur is the largest urban settlements in Chhattisgarh State. As per census 2011, Raipur urban agglomeration has population 11.22 lakh. The city is a fast developing commercial and industrial center in India. Traditionally, Raipur known to be the “rice bowl” of region and had the image of an agricultural-processing and saw-milling town.
Raipur became the capital of newly formed Chhattisgarh and since then it is evolving as a regional hub for administration, trade& commerce, education, health and culture. Raipur city is located centrally in the state of Chhattisgarh. The city is situated between 22o 33′ N to 21o14’N Latitude and 82o 6′ to 81o38’E Longitude on the south eastern part of the upper Mahanadi valley and the bordering hills in the south and the east.
Raipur is located centrally in the state of Chhattisgarh. Also, the city is connected to the other parts of the country through efficient road, rail network and air ways. Owing to its geographical location, the city is very well connected to the district headquarters, tehsils and development blocks are with good roads.
Vision of Raipur Master Plan 2021
Based on the feedback from the stakeholders, the vision statement for Raipur Master Plan 2021 is framed as follows:
Green clean city with world class infrastructure but upholding the tradition and culture of Chhattisgarh
The land development and urban planning scenario remains to be more or less same even today, as the Raipur Master Plan referred is 2021. Major highlights in the current development are :
- New developments outside the RMC limit is not confining to the land use plans and guidelines prescribed in the Master Plan
- New eight townships are proposed to regularize the haphazard growth of the city
- Growth towards Naya Raipur and Bhilai
- Individual planning of parts has led to a haphazard development with a lack of proper infrastructure
- Land use and transportation are not integrated
Development of Raipur city
- Raipur city being the capital and commercial hub of the state, exhibits mixed land use pattern with residential, institutional, commercial and industrial uses.
- The land use distribution in the city does not follow any definitive pattern.
- The only definite concentration is of the industries in the western parts of the city, resulting in heavy commuting patterns from central city and East to West.
- Commercial activity is virtually spread throughout the city.
Key highlights of the Raipur Master Plan 2021
- Raipur Master Plan 2021 identifies organized residential development on the city outskirts to reduce the pressure of development in the city centre
- Use of Town development scheme for developing residential areas, which will be completely green filed development
- The Master Plan highlights high FSI commercial development on NH-6, which connects to Naya Raipur, to help the city grow in a planned way. It will ensure dense development in new areas
- It also emphasizes on recreational spaces within the city centre to act as breathing spaces. More land on the northern side of the Raipur is being allocated for industries
- The talabs/ponds/water bodies are given special emphasis in the Raipur Master Plan, and some are proposed to be developed as tourist spots.
Growth Strategies of Raipur Master Plan 2021
- Assure adequate and equitable water supply daily and for reasonable length of time.
- Provide citywide coverage of sewerage and sanitation system to make it environmentally safe.
- Establish an effective rain water collection system thereby reducing mixing of rain and sullage water and reducing the incidence of water logging during monsoons.
- To establish and maintain an effective and sustainable waste management practice in the city.
- Improve the condition of roads and provide adequate, safe and user friendly public transportation in Raipur.
- Service provision and universal access to all basic urban services at an affordable cost.