Poshan Abhiyaan Or National Nutrition Mission (NNM) Details & Benefits
Poshan Abhiyaan is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD), Government of India, which ensures convergence with various programmes i.e., Anganwadi Services, Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), Scheme for Adolescent Girls (SAG) of MWCD Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), National Health Mission (NHM), Swachh Bharat Mission, Public Distribution System (PDS), Department Food & Public Distribution, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) and Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation.
Poshan Abhiyaan focuses to lay emphasis on the first 1000 days of the child, which includes the nine months of pregnancy, six months of exclusive breastfeeding and the period from 6 months to 2 years to ensure focused interventions on addressing undernutrition.
Besides increasing the birth weight, it will help reduce both Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR). Additional one year of sustained intervention (till the age of 3 years) would ensure that the gains of the first 1000 days are consolidated. Attention is also given to children in the age group of 3-6 years for their overall development through the platform of the Anganwadi Services.
Poshan Abhiyaan envisages establishing a system where programme functionaries will become more effective by learning to plan and execute each task correctly and consistently through methodical, ongoing capacity building, called ‘Incremental Learning Approach (ILA)’. Such a system will use opportunities in the form of existing supervisory interactions at different levels, through which practical and guided learning may be accomplished.
Objectives of Poshan Abhiyaan (CBE)
- To sensitize and create awareness among pregnant women and mothers of children up to 2 years of age and their key influencers on key health, nutrition and child care practices in order to strengthen positive practices related to survival, growth and development of children.
- To create awareness about the benefits available to pregnant women and lactating mothers (PW & LM) under PMMVY and JSY.
- To improve health-seeking behaviour among the pregnant women (PW) and lactating mothers (LM).
- To enhance community participation in promoting good nutrition and health behaviours.
Target Beneficiaries of Poshan Abhiyaan under CBE
- Target group: Caregivers viz., mothers, and family members including fathers, grandparents and older siblings.
- Community representatives: Community leaders, religious leaders, PRI members, SHG members, VHSNC members.
- Facilitators/Resource Persons: AWW, ASHA, ANM and ICDS Supervisors.