About PHB Puducherry (Puducherry Housing Board)
PHB Puducherry (Puducherry Housing Board) was constituted under a special enactment viz. the Pondicherry Housing Board Act, 1973 (No.7 of 1974) with the assent of the President of India and also with an avowed object to mitigate the housing shortage by promoting housing and improvement schemes in the Union Territory of Puducherry. The Board started its functioning from May 1975. Puducherry Housing Board is premier housing agency in the Puducherry Union Territory formed with an aim to provide house to the shelter less poor people. It also builds houses for middle income and high income categories.
The Puducherry Housing Board has so far constructed 4971 houses out of which 830 is for the EWS of the Society. In addition to the construction of houses, the Board has developed 320 plots and sold to the general public. The schemes are normally promoted with the financial assistance of financial institution viz. HUDCO. Sometimes the schemes are carried out by Board’s own funds. The execution of works is supervised by Puducherry Housing Board, while the execution is carried out with the assistance of outside contractors.
Objectives of PHB Puducherry (Puducherry Housing Board)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, PHB Puducherry operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.