NITI Aayog, National Institution for Transforming India Functions & Details
National Institution for Transforming India, also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015. NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs. While designing strategic and long term policies and programs for the Government of India, NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
The Government of India, in keeping with its reform agenda, constituted the NITI Aayog to replace the Planning Commission instituted in 1950. The new institution will be a catalyst to the developmental process; nurturing an overall enabling environment, through a holistic approach to development going beyond the limited sphere of the Public Sector and Government of India. This will be built on the foundations of:
- An empowered role of States as equal partners in national development; operationalizing the principle of Cooperative Federalism
- A knowledge hub of internal as well as external resources; serving as a repository of good governance best practices, and a Think Tank offering domain knowledge as well as strategic expertise to all levels of government
- A collaborative platform facilitating Implementation; by monitoring progress, plugging gaps and bringing together the various Ministries at the Centre and in States, in the joint pursuit of developmental goals
Former Prime Minister and noted economist, Dr. Manmohan Singh – in his farewell address to the Commission in April 2014 – also urged reflection on “what the role of the Planning Commission needs to be in this new world.
Functions of NITI Aayog
- Cooperative and Competitive Federalism
- Evolve a shared vision of national development priorities and strategies, with the active involvement of States
- Support States in addressing their own challenges, as well as building on strengths and comparative advantages
- Restructure the planning process into a bottom-up model, empowering States, and guiding them to further empower local governments
- Design medium and long-term strategic frameworks of the big picture vision of India’s future – across schemes, sectors, regions and time; factoring in all possible alternative assumptions and counterfactuals
- Build a repository of specialized domain expertise, both sectoral and cross-sectoral; to assist Ministries of the Central and State governments in their respective development planning as well problem solving needs
- Mainstream external ideas and expertise into government policies and programs through a collaborative community of national and international experts, practitioners and other partners
NITI Aayog will seek to facilitate and empower this critical requirement of good governance, which is people-centric, participative, collaborative, transparent and policy-driven. It will provide critical directional and strategic input to the development process, focusing on deliverables and outcomes. This, along with being as incubator and disseminator of fresh thought and ideas for development, will be the core mission of NITI Aayog.