Naya Raipur Master Plan 2031 has been created for Naya Raipur. While the new state of Chhattisgarh was born on 1st of November 2000, Raipur, the largest city of the state was named its capital. Raipur has for many decades been a vibrant market place in central India. Because, with an already burdened civic infrastructure, it was ill-equipped to take on its newfound role as the administrative capital of a rapidly growing state.
It is indeed a remarkable achievement that the people of Chhattisgarh and its political leaders could arrive consequently on the building of a large green field city close to Raipur. The new city which has been named ‘Naya Raipur’ would at once serve as the administrative capital of the State and also cater to the infrastructural needs of industry and trade in the region.
After various considerations a site in the south east of Raipur, dotted with natural water bodies has been selected. The site is in the west of River Mahanadi, a perennial source of water, in the middle of Naya Raipur Development Authority (NRDA) planning area.
Within the Naya Raipur Planning Area, 130.28 sq. km is identified as peripheral area to act as buffer zone between the proposed Naya Raipur City and the existing Raipur. The new city is envisaged to be developed in phases for an estimated population of 5.6 Lakh by the year 2031.
Vision of Naya Raipur Master Plan 2031
- New city would be provided with housing for quality living with comfortable and well designed houses with required essential facilities
- Transport plan is proposed with the objective of high mobility for all and providing mass transport system which is equitable and safe
- City would be provided with high quality physical infrastructure
- Social infrastructure has been proposed according to norms which are arguably the highest in the country
- The new city is developed in an area with a number of water bodies and plantations
- Image of Naya Raipur will be a wide band of green running through the city and interlaced with lakes.
Objectives of Naya Raipur Master Plan 2031
The objectives of Naya Raipur Master Plan 2031 is that Naya Raipur will be modern in the use of technology, uphold worthy traditions and core values. The citizens will be offered a wide range of living options with equity and dignity. The city will strive to make an impact in the following role:
- Agent of economic change and social transformation in the state
- Efficient engine of growth and prosperity
- A servicing hub not only in manufacturing of goods but also in Information Technology and Biotechnology sectors
- A financial centre of the region
- Trade Hub and hospitality sectors in Naya Raipur
- Hub of cultural services which would supplement local economy
- Affordable and high quality medical services Hub
- Quality educational facilities and strive to develop as a knowledge base
Hence, the vision of the Naya Raipur Master Plan 2031 in physical terms, i.e. its form and function in two as well as three dimensional terms is delineated in a subsequent section.