About Nagercoil LPA (Nagercoil Local Planning Authority)
Nagercoil LPA (Nagarcoil Local Planning Authority) was constituted under section 10(1) of Town and Country Planning Act 1971 in the year 1974 vide G.O.Ms.No.1087 RD & LA Dept dated 23.04.1974, and the same was confirmed vide G.O.Ms.No. 1844 RDLA dept. dated 16.08.1974. Initially the Master Plan was consented vide G.O.Ms.No.366 H & UD Dept dated 11.04.85 under section 24 and approved under section 28 vide G.O.Ms.No.198 H & UD Department dated 14.02.1991.Then the Master Plan was reviewed under section 32 and consented vide G.O.Ms.No.289 H & UD Department dated 12.07.1999 and then approved vide G.O.Ms.No.213 H & UD Department dated 14.10.2008.
This master plan is followed at present. The area of the Nagercoil composite local planning authority is 176.08 square kilometers in which urban area is 24.29 square kilometers and the urban sprawl the rural area is 151.79 square kilometers. In order to control haphazard development and also to preserve the environment and to facilitate development in a planned manner and to serve the future expected population, the non-planned area which is very adjacent to Local Planning area including Kanyakumari single LPA, the area of present LPA has extended vide G.O.Ms.No.274 H & UD Dept.dated.07.11.13 and the present area of LPA is 202.358 square kilometers. Total area of the district is 1672 square kilometers in which R.F land is 515 square kilometers, on deducting this area of the district is 1157 square kilometers.
Objectives of Nagercoil LPA (Nagercoil Local Planning Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, Nagercoil LPA operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.