About MDDA Mussoorie Dehradun (Mussoorie Dehradun Development Authority)
MDDA Mussoorie Dehradun (Mussoorie Dehradun Development Authority) was established in 1984 with objective of planning and development of the city. The twin cities of Mussoorie- Dehradun, it’s an architect’s dream, a planner’s delight, inspiration for poets and a Mecca for tourists. Dehradun manifests its position as an important city in the most fertile region of Doon Valley between rivers Yamuna and Ganga. Its infact, the most developed city in the Shiwalik foothills and the gateway to the far-flung hill areas of Uttaranchal. Dehradun is blessed with many state and central government institutions for which it maintains its position in the country. It is the most vital service center, which meets the trade and commerce requirements of its hinterland. During the post independence period, Dehradun as a city has registered an unprecedented growth in its population as well as physical expansion.
Till the seventies there was no serious effort to channelize the haphazard growth of the city. However with a view to check the haphazard growth of Dehradun the State government declared it as a Regulated area in 1963 under UP regulation of Building and Building Operation Act 1958 but the desired objectives could not be achieved as it performed only regulatory functions. Consequently, before MDDA came into existence in 1984, the city was confronted with a number of problems of uncontrolled and haphazard development.
Objectives of MDDA Mussoorie Dehradun (Mussoorie Dehradun Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, MDDA Mussoorie Dehradun operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.