Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021 has been created for Gorakhpur District. It is the administrative headquarters of Gorakhpur District and Gorakhpur Division. It is also the headquarters of North Eastern Railways and serves an important center for education and trade. Gorakhpur is the headquarters of Gorakhpur Division and District. Gorakhpur division comprises four districts, Gorakhpur, Deoria, Mahrajganj and Kushinagar. The total current population of the city is estimated to be 11, 36,353. The literacy rate was 85.64 per cent. As a basic administration unit the district, has assumed a greater development and regulatory role consequent to emphasis on decentralized planning.
It is divided into seven Tehsils (Revenue Sub- Divisions) presided over by a Sub Divisional Magistrate. Tehsils are further subdivided into nineteen Development Blocks, Blocks into 191 Nagar Panchayat and these Nagar Panchayats into 1233 Gram Sabhas which consists of 3327 Revenue villages. The latitude of Gorakhpur is 26.765844, and the longitude is 83.364944. It is located between the 26° 45′ 57.0384” N and 83° 21′ 53.7984” E.
Vision of Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021
The objective of the Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021 is to create enabling spatial and land use planning framework to achieve the Vision of Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021. The future growth and development of the urban centers is defined by the Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021 / Gorakhpur Development Plans which are evolved for each settlement at individual level. Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021 has been considered as one of the most effective mechanism to promote planned growth of the urban centers. It lays down the road map, agenda and framework within which the city growth is envisioned. It provides a tool for the authorities to take decision with regard to current and future development related issues.
Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021 provides the framework for rationalizing the orderly movement of traffic and transportation within the city and defines the area for laying down network of various services. The plan is used for promoting integrated development of the urban centre by rationalizing its pattern of land use and their inter-relationship. It also defines the strategies and solutions for overcoming the existing problems of the urban centers and to overcome its infrastructural and service related inadequacies. In addition, it provides options for accommodating the future addition to population which is likely to come to the urban centre due to natural growth and migration. Master Plan acts as a tool for determining the infrastructure cost which would be required to make the city sustainable. The plans offer futuristic solutions by laying down agenda for its growth and development.
Objectives of Gorakhpur Master Plan 2021
More specifically following are the objectives:
- To make Gorakhpur district as the most vibrant economic centre to promote the balanced regional growth.
- To make land allocation in an environmentally benign fashion.
- To minimize haphazard, unplanned, and sub-standard growth and development of the town and to achieve planned growth to create healthy environment.
- To effectively manage the traffic and transportation within the town through the mechanism of rationalizing the land use pattern defined in the Master Plan.
- To make land available for public purposes.
- To minimize travel within the town by creating self contained and self sufficient communities.
- Adequate parking spaces to be created in the town as an integral part of commercial, industrial, and institutional planning and development process.
- To strengthen the basic infrastructure favorable for petroleum, chemical & petrochemical investment region and agro based industries.
- To rationalize the distribution of physical and social infrastructure in order to ensure appropriate quality of life to all the residents of the city.
- To identify man-made and natural heritage and to make heritage conservation as integral part of the city planning and development process.
- Ensure equitable distribution of resources environmental, economic and social.
- Ensure a conducive environment to work.
- Introduce a total business environment.