Digital India Program Benefits & Details of Digital India
Digital India is a Program to prepare India for a knowledge future. Prime Minister of India has laid emphasis on National e- governance plan and has given its approval for Digital India – A program to transform India into digital empowered society and knowledge economy.
Digital India is an ambitious program of Government of India projected at Rs 1, 13,000 crores. This is for preparing the India for the knowledge based transformation and delivering good governance to citizens by synchronized and co-ordinate engagement with both Central Government and State Government.
Digital Technologies which include Cloud Computing and Mobile Applications have emerged as catalysts for rapid economic growth and citizen empowerment across the globe. Digital technologies are being increasingly used by us in everyday lives from retail stores to government offices. They help us to connect with each other and also to share information on issues and concerns faced by us. In some cases they also enable resolution of those issues in near real time.
Vision of Digital India
The vision of Digital India program is to transform India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy.
Vision Areas of Digital India
The Digital India program is centered on three key vision areas:
- Digital Infrastructure as a Utility to Every Citizen:
- High speed internet as a core utility
- Cradle to grave digital identity -unique, lifelong, online, authenticable
- Mobile phone & Bank account enabling participation in digital & financial space
- Easy access to a Common Service Centre
- Shareable private space on a public cloud
- Shareable private space on a public cloud Safe and secure Cyber-space
- Governance & Services on Demand:
- Seamlessly integrated across departments or jurisdictions
- Services available in real time from online &mobile platform
- All citizen entitlements to be available on the cloud
- Services digitally transformed for improving Ease of Doing Business
- Making financial transactions electronic & cashless
- Leveraging GIS for decision support systems & development
- Digital Empowerment of Citizens:
- Universal Digital Literacy
- Universally accessible digital resources
- All documents/ certificates to be available on cloud
- Availability of digital resources / services in Indian languages
- Collaborative digital platforms for participative governance
- Portability of all entitlements through cloud
Digital India has been envisaged by Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) and will impact ministry of communications & IT, ministry of rural development, ministry of human resource development, ministry of health and others. This program will also benefit all states and union territories.
Pillars of Digital India
Digital India is an umbrella program that covers multiple Government Ministries and Departments. It weaves together a large number of ideas and thoughts into a single, comprehensive vision so that each of them can be implemented as part of a larger goal. Each individual element stands on its own, but is also part of the larger picture.
Services provided by Digital India
- Some of the facilities which will be provided through this initiative are Digital Locker, e-education, e-health, e-sign and national scholarship portal. As the part of Digital India, Indian government planned to launch Botnet cleaning centers.
- gov.in is a website, launched by PM Narendra Modi on 1 July 2015 to keep a record of the attendance of Government employees on a real-time basis.
- in is a platform to share inputs and ideas on matters of policy and governance.
- Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) Mobile app is being used by people and Government organizations for achieving Shreyank the goals of Swachh Bharat Mission
- The eHospital application provides important services such as online registration, payment of fees and appointment, online diagnostic reports, enquiring availability of blood online etc.
- National Scholarship Portal is a one step solution for end to end scholarship process right from submission of student application, verification, sanction and disbursal to end beneficiary for all the scholarships provided by the Government of India.
- E-Sampark is a mechanism to contact citizens electronically, sending informational and public service messages via e-mails, SMSs and outbound dialing.