About CMDA Chennai (Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority)
CMDA Chennai (Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority) was constituted as an adhoc body in 1972 and become statutory body in 1974 vide the Tamil Nadu Town and Country Planning Act 1971. The vision of Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority is to provide people friendly administration in the process of ensuring better quality of life in Chennai Metropolitan Area through environmentally sustainable, economically progressive, technologically innovative management policies and programs.
Functions of CMDA Chennai (Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority)
- To carry out a survey of the Chennai Metropolitan planning area and prepare reports on the surveys so carried out.
- To prepare a Master Plan or Detailed Development Plan or New Town development Plan as the case may be for the Chennai Metropolitan planning Area.
- To prepare an existing land use map and such other maps as may be necessary for the purpose of preparing any development plan.
- To cause to be carried out such works as are contemplated in any development plan.
- To designate the whole of Chennai Metropolitan planning area or any part thereof within its jurisdiction as a new town and to perform the following functions that are:
- To prepare a New Town development plan for the area concerned, and
- To secure the laying out and development of the new town in accordance with the New Town development plan.
- To perform such other functions as may be entrusted to it by the Government.
- The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority may by order, entrust to any local authority or other Authority as may be specified in such order, the work of execution any development plan prepared by it.
- The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority may by order, authorize any local authority or other authority as may be specified in such order, to exercise any of the power vested in by or under the Town and Country Planning Act -1971 and may in like manner withdraw such authority and the exercise of any power delegated in this behalf shall be subject to such restrictions and conditions as may be specified in such order.
Objectives of CMDA Chennai (Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, CMDA Chennai operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.