About CHB Chandigarh (Chandigarh Housing Board)
CHB Chandigarh (Chandigarh Housing Board) was established in the year 1976 by extending the Haryana Housing Board Act, 1971 to the Union Territory of Chandigarh. The primary objective of the Board is to provide reasonably priced, good quality housing for the shelter less persons residing in the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Right from the beginning, the Board has focused upon the construction and allotment of houses for the less affluent sections of society on hire-purchase basis. Till March 2011, the Chandigarh Housing Board has constructed a total of 49,713 houses of various categories. The functioning of the Board is as per the Chandigarh Housing Board Regulations, 1979. The land for construction of houses/flats is allotted to the Board by the Chandigarh Administration at reserve price from time to time. Accordingly, housing schemes are floated by the Board and applications are invited from the general public including various Reserved Categories. Chandigarh Housing Board has also constructed commercial units and undertaken other schemes and deposit works for Chandigarh Administration and other organizations. The Chandigarh Housing Board is also the implementing agency for the Co-operative House Building Societies Scheme 1991.
Objectives of CHB Chandigarh (Chandigarh Housing Board)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, CHB Chandigarh operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.