About TNHB Madurai (Tamil Nadu Housing Board)
TNHB Madurai (Tamil Nadu Housing Board) was formed in 1947 as a small organization in the name of City Improvement Trust in order to cater to the Housing needs of Madras City, has developed into a full fledged organization as Tamil Nadu Housing Board in 1961 to cope with the increasing demand in housing sector all over the state due to urban growth leading to migration to urban areas in search of employment opportunities. It is under the control of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. TNHB has the unique capacity of developing very large neighborhood schemes, each one of them, remains a self contained neighborhood by itself. As a pioneer institution in developing very large neighborhood schemes, Tamil Nadu Housing Board is one of the biggest institutions in India catering to the shelter needs of various income groups of the society. All residential township developments of TNHB have been a success due to their compliance to the development rules and their not-for-profit motive. As the land required for TNHB layouts are either owned or acquired by the government, they do not cut corners in layout developments which results in suburbs with wide roads and all amenities such as schools, parks, play grounds and bus terminuses. The organization caters to all sectors of the society through their HIG, MIG and LIG offerings.
Objectives of TNHB Madurai (Tamil Nadu Housing Board)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, TNHB Madurai operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.