Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031 has been created for Sultanpur Lodhi. Sultanpur Lodhi is a Sub divisional headquarters of the district Kapurthala and is also an important religious town of Punjab state. It falls within Doaba region of the state. Although Sultanpur Lodhi doesn’t falls on any National Highway and State Highway, yet it is well connected by roads with the surrounding cities and towns like Jalandhar, Kapurthala, Goindwal, Makhu and Firozpur. The town is situated on Kapurthala – Lohian – Makhu railway line is connected with Kapurthala – Firozpur broad gauge railway line.
Sultanpur Lodhi is situated at a distance of 27 Km south of Kapurthala, 46 Km west of Jalandhar and 196 Km west of Chandigarh, the Capital of Punjab. It is situated about 6 miles (10 Km) north to intersection of Beas and Sutlej. The LPA Sultanpur Lodhi, which surrounds the town, is an important part of rich fertile land of Doaba region of the state. It is situated between 75° 9’48” to 75° 14’50” East longitude and extends from 31°11’13” to 31° 14’48” North latitude.
Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031 LPA
The LPA Sultanpur Lodhi comprises one urban settlement and ten villages. The total area of LPA Sultanpur Lodhi is as per revenue record is 3270 hectare. As per PRSC data, the area of LPA Sultanpur Lodhi is 3255.76 hectares. Out of which 347 hectare is urban area and 2908.76 hectares lie under rural area. Total population of LPA Sultanpur Lodhi is 22,184 persons out of which 17354 are urban.
Recognizing the need for regulating the development of the entire influence area of Sultanpur Lodhi town, Government of Punjab has delineated Local Planning Area (LPA) Sultanpur Lodhi and notified U/S 56(1) of “Punjab Regional and Town Planning and Development (Amendment) Act, 2006” in the official gazette vide notification No.12/17/2007- 4HGI/5025, dated 05/07/2007 .In continuation of the above said notification dated 05/07/2007 government has further altered the boundaries of LPA Sultanpur Lodhi vide notification No.12/17/07- 4HGI/3727 Dated 04/06/08. The Government has also designated the Chief Town Planner, Punjab as the Planning Agency to prepare the Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031 of LPA Sultanpur Lodhi.
As a first step towards the preparation of Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031, Local Planning Area has been delineated and notified U/S 56(1) of “Punjab Regional and Town Planning and Development (Amendment) Act, 2006” in the official gazette vide notification no.12/17/2007- 4HGI/5025, dated 05/07/2007. In continuation of the above said notification dated 05/07/2007 government has further altered the boundaries of LPA Sultanpur Lodhi town within the meaning of Sub section 7 of section 56 of Punjab Regional and Town Planning and Development (Amendment) Act, 2006 vide notification no.12/17/2007-4HG1/3727 dated 04/06/08.
The physical extent and boundaries of LPA, Sultanpur Lodhi town are shown in Drg.no.DDTP (K) 15/2007 dated.20-09-07. The Local Planning Area, Sultanpur Lodhi includes one urban settlement and 10 villages. This area spreads over an area of 32.70 sq. kms (3270 hectares) serving a population of 22,184 persons. Out of total area of LPA, about 347 hectares are urban area which is 10.61% of the total area of LPA and 2923 hectare lies under rural area which is 89.39% of the total area of LPA. The Government also designated the Chief Town Planner, Punjab as the Planning Agency vide notification 12/17/2007-4HG I/6520 dated 14/08/07 to prepare the Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031.
Vision Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031
To transform Sultanpur Lodhi town into a tourist centre from religious point of view and trade commerce and science centre of surrounding region by providing high quality physical and social infrastructure to all its citizens in an inclusive and environmentally sustainable manner. The objective of the Sultanpur Lodhi Master Plan 2031 is to create enabling spatial land use planning framework to achieve the Vision of LPA, Sultanpur Lodhi town. More specifically, the following are the objectives:
- To make Sultanpur Lodhi town as the tourist centre from religious point of view.
- To maintain the sanctity of religious places their preservation, provision of public facilities and improvement of surroundings.
- To make land allocation in an environmentally friendly manner.
- To minimize haphazard, unplanned and sub-standard growth and development of the town and to achieve planned growth to create healthy environment.
- To effectively manage the traffic and transportation within the town through the mechanism of rationalizing the land use pattern defined in the Master Plan.
- A well defined system of road hierarchy for the proper movement of the traffic.
- To make land available for public purposes.
- To minimize travel within the town by creating self contained and self sufficient communities and to maintain work and living area relationship.
- Adequate parking spaces to be created in the town as an integral part of commercial, industrial and institutional planning and development process.
- To strengthen the basic infrastructure favorable for Agro based and other industries, this will help in the development of economic base of the town.
- To rationalize the distribution of physical and social infrastructure in the town and ensure appropriate quality of life to all the residents of the town.
- To identify man-made and natural heritage and to make heritage conservation as integral part of the town planning and development process.
- Imposition of zoning and other regulating measures.