Start Up Village Entrepreneurship Program, Benefits & SVEP Details
Start up Village Entrepreneurship Program launched during the budget session of 2014-15 on July 10th, 2014 for encouraging rural youth to take up local entrepreneurship programs. Providing an initial sum of 100 crore for SVEP.
Vision of Start up Village Entrepreneurship Program
- The long term vision of the SVEP is to provide support for start-up to 1 crore village enterprises and provide direct employment to 2 crore people.
- The SVEP shall help the rural poor come out of poverty by helping them set up enterprises and provide support till the enterprises stabilize.
- The programmatic intervention will address all three missing ecosystems — Knowledge, advisory and finance ecosystems.
- The SVEP will provide the supported enterprises with business skills, exposure, loans for starting and business support during the first critical six months of the enterprises by using the NRLM SHGs and their federations.
- These skills shall be imparted by local youth (Community Resource Persons —Enterprise Promotion- CRP-EPs) who shall be trained in business management, monitoring and support using ICT and audio-visual aids. These local CRP-EPs shall also provide support to the enterprises.
In its first phase of validating the concept, SVEP is expected to support creation and strengthening of about 1.82 Lakh village enterprises in 125 Blocks across 24 States in the targeted four years i.e. 2015-19. This is expected to create employment for about 3.78 Lakh persons.
Benefits of Start up Village Entrepreneurship Program
The SVEP shall benefit the households and communities even beyond the financial gains it provides;
- It shall help rural people specially the marginalized sections, women, and SC and ST communities to gain a sense of dignity and self- reliance leading to great social change.
- Similarly, the wealth generated in the local economy shall have a multiplier effect resulting in strengthening the local economy and reduction in distress migration.
- People engaged in a range of enterprises shall create further employment and improve the market.
- It shall also encourage new age enterprises in ICT/infotainment.
- It shall promote enterprises in the field of sanitation, drinking water, renewable energy etc. This shall offer more economic opportunities for the rural areas and bring people out of poverty.
Objectives of Start up Village Entrepreneurship Program
The overall objective of SVEP is to implement the Government’s efforts to stimulate economic growth and reduce poverty and unemployment in the villages by helping start and support rural enterprises.
- To enable rural poor to set up their enterprises, in its proof of concept phase, by developing a sustainable model for Village Entrepreneurship promotion
- Develop local resources by training a pool of village level community cadre (CRP EP) and build the capacity of the NRLM and SHG federations to monitor and direct the work of the CRP-EPs.
- Help the rural entrepreneurs to access finance for starting their enterprises from the NRLM SHG and federations, the banking systems including the proposed MUDRA bank.
- Handhold the rural entrepreneurs/ enterprises in the initial six months of start-up, with visits from the CRP-EP’s supported by guidance from an advisory panel of experts for the relevant