Purnea Master Plan 2030 has been created for Purnea. The projected population of Purnea town is 364918 by 2030. Purnea district is strategically located in eastern Bihar and has good accessibility to Nepal in north, West Bengal in east and other major towns of Bihar. It is the regional transportation hub of eastern Bihar. Purnea is the third largest city and the fourth most populous city of Bihar. The town is accessible by both road and rail and is connected by NH 31, 57 and 107 and SH 60 and 62.
Purnea town covers an area of 44.5 sq km and is divided into 43 wards with the average density at 38.46 persons per hectare as per 2010 figures. Purnea is an important trade centre in the district. The competitive advantage of Purnea lies in its good road and railway connectivity, proximity to the Saura River and the resource-rich hinterland. The Maranga industrial area located 7 km from housing industries like Hindustan Petroleum gas station, agro-industries, flour mills and jute mills is another advantage.
Vision of Purnea Master Plan 2030
The vision of Purnea Master Plan 2030 was derived on the basis of the status assessment of the city, stakeholder consultations and focused group discussions. Participatory consultations during the visioning process concluded that there is need to revive growth and improve the overall quality of life of its citizens. The identified Vision of Purnea Master Plan 2030 is as follows:
“To develop Purnea as a regional transportation centre and a trade and commerce hub that is environmentally sustainable. Purnea to also develop as a centre for medical tourism and small and medium industries linked to the agricultural hinterland”
The identified vision forms the basis of sector-specific strategies adopted in framing the action plan.
Growth Strategies of Purnea Master Plan 2030
- To assure adequate and equitable water supply daily and for reasonable length of time.
- To provide citywide coverage of sewerage and sanitation system to make it environmentally safe.
- To establish an effective rain water collection system thereby reducing mixing of rain and sullage water and reducing the incidence of water logging during monsoons.
- To establish and maintain an effective and sustainable waste management practice in the city.
- To improve the condition of roads and provide adequate, safe and user friendly public transportation in Purnea.
- Service provision and universal access to all basic urban services at an affordable cost.