Puri Konark Master Plan 2031 (Draft) has been created for Puri. Puri Konark Development Authority (PKDA) region is a naturally picturesque peninsula jutting into the Bay of Bengal and located on the southern part of Bhubaneswar and Cuttack. The area comprises of Puri Municipal limits, Konark NAC area and the adjoining rural areas included in 131 numbers of revenue villages, with a population of about 4.96 Lakhs (according to the 2001 census) and stretches over an area of 296.33 sq.km.
The proximity of the PKDA area to two major urban centres – Bhubaneswar and Cuttack makes it an ideal getaway for pilgrims and tourists. Bhubaneswar – Puri – Konark form the „golden triangle‟ attracting numerous tourists from all over the country and the world. Pilgrims on short visits frequent the area to visit Jagannath temple, Konark temple – a UNESCO world heritage site and the attractive beaches.
PKDA is situated between 19° 21‟E- 26° 29‟ E latitude and 84° 29‟ – 86 ° 25‟ E longitudes. Puri and Konark are the two nodes of the famous golden triangle with Bhubaneswar and constituting the other nodes in tourism atlas in India.
Vision of Puri Konark Master Plan 2031
Having understood the existing situation of Puri Konark development area the vision for the region can be developed at this juncture. The ways and means of achieving the vision shall be discussed in the subsequent sections. The vision for Puri Konark Development Authority area has been elucidated as under:
Developing PKDA into a vibrant tourist destination by weaving within its scenic fabric, the religious significance, culture and heritage, while augmenting the economic development and hence improving the quality of life while sustaining the growth with regional development, is the vision with which the Master Plan has been prepared.
Objectives of Puri Konark Master Plan 2031
- Developing a sustainable pattern of economic development
- Conservation, maintenance and promotion of the special features like Forests, water bodies and heritage structures to develop a more meaning partnership between the citizens of PKDA and their built and natural heritage
- Strengthening the traditional economic base
- Improvement of the infrastructure levels in the region hence improving the quality of life and creation of more economic opportunities in the region. .
- Strengthening the role of the Puri Konark Development Authority for better and more responsive administration and development of the region