Pune Master Plan 2041 (Draft) has been created for Pune City. Pune has emerged as a prominent location for manufacturing industries, and has now been recognized as the information technology hub and education hub of the country. The city is spread over an area of 243.84 Sq Km with a population of over 3 million. The rapid growth of the city has transformed from its character as Pensioner’s city to Educational – Administrative Center and now to a bustling economic center. The city is famous as the Oxford of the East and the cultural capital of Maharashtra. Pune is also one of the most renowned places among tourists coming to Maharashtra. The educational institutions, presence of a number of industries and branches of virtually every array have made Pune a prosperous city.
Pune city is located in Pune District in the western region in Maharashtra state between 180 32′ North latitude and 720 51’ East longitudes. It is at an altitude of 560 m above mean sea level. Pune city is well-connected to most of the important metropolitans in India like Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai and to all major cities and town of the state of Maharashtra.
Wholesale and retail trade and commerce flourishes in Pune as one of the important part of the daily activities of the city’s population. The city serves as the regional wholesale market for food grains and other commodities and also for agricultural produce such as green peas, wheat, rice, pulses, oilseeds, maize, etc., which are cultivated in the rural hinterland.
Vision of Pune Master Plan 2041
The vision of Pune Master Plan 2041 (Draft):
- To ensure safe, reliable, equitable, affordable water for all with sustainable water sources
- To provide universal access to affordable sanitation and ensure ecologically sound management of waste water providing public health protection
- To develop and maintain comprehensive watershed and Storm water infrastructure system to protect health and safety, to enhance the quality of life to preserve and improve the environment
- To provide most cost effective and efficient solid waste collection and disposal service while providing maximum practical protection to environment with Zero waste city
- To provide a safe, efficient and cost effective multimodal transportation system
- To achieve compatible land uses with harmonious urban form having adequate open and green spaces, high standards of infrastructure and effective land management
- Slum free city and Housing for all
- Green, safe Sustainable and livable city for present and future generations
- Conservation of heritage and cultural properties, traditional arts and crafts and natural resources
Development Goals of Pune Master Plan 2041
- Socially beneficial
- Regionally connected
- Environmentally sustainable
- Financially Viable
- Institutionally Executable and;
- Politically acceptable