About PDA Patnitop (Patnitop Development Authority)
PDA Patnitop (Patnitop Development Authority) came into existence on 26th of March, 1992 vide notification SRO 69 dated 26.03.1992 under section 4 of the J&K Development Act 1970. The jurisdiction of the Authority is spread over an area of 265 Sq. Km, spreading over two districts, Udhampur and Doda. This area extends from the tehsil headquarters of Chenani from the South to the administrative town of Batote to its North. and from Sanasar in east to Basantgarh in west. The area has number of places having very high potential for the tourism like Sanasar, Batote, Patnitop, Kud, Sudh Mahadev, Gourikund, Mantalai, Latti, Dudu and Basantgarh. Earlier the PDA was under the administrative control of Housing and Urban Development Department, but during the year 1998 the Authority was brought under the administrative control of Tourism Department. The objective of bringing the Authority under Tourism Department is to create infrastructure incidental to the promotion of tourism industry in harmony with Environment / Ecology of the area.
The primary objective of the Authority is to promote/ facilitate the development of only critical infrastructure without disturbing the Environment / Ecology of the area rather focus will be on sustained preservation and improvement of the fragile ecology. The entire area is predominantly rural in character except Batote, a Class VI town and a traditionally important halt on Jammu Srinagar National Highway. Chenani, another Class VI town is situated at a strategic location on the foothills side of the NH from Jammu and is just outside the Patnitop Circuit Area. The entire area under Patnitop Development Authority (henceforth to be referred as Patnitop circuit) has been divided into three broad zones (or sub-circuits) based on physical proximity, accessibility and prevalent trends of tourism in order to achieve an effective and phased development of the plan.
Objectives of PDA Patnitop (Patnitop Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, PDA Patnitop operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.