Patna City Development Plan 2030 (CDP) has been created for Patna. The population of Patna city has increased from 2, 83,000 in 1951 to 18, 11, 000 in 2011 with a very un-usual growth rate. Patna is the capital of Bihar and the largest urban area. The town is located in Patna district that comprises six sub divisions. The Patna Municipal Corporation area covers 99.45 sq km and is divided into 72 wards. Patna is located on the banks of the River Ganga. Patna is a metropolis and has a designated regional development area that covers 234.70 sq km and includes outgrowths within Patna district.
Patna is an important commercial centre. Due to its central position at the junction of the three rivers, it has the additional advantage of transport of goods by river. The most important commodities manufactured in the PMC are electronic goods, food grains are imported and vegetables are exported.
The competitive advantage of Patna lies in its being the state capital and its central location. It is the centre for all higher order services in the state – education, health – and the political centre.
Vision of Patna City Development Plan 2030
The vision of Patna City Development Plan 2030 was derived on the basis of the status assessment of the city, stakeholder consultations and focused group discussions. Participatory consultations during the visioning process concluded that there is need to revive growth and improve the overall quality of life of its citizens. The identified Vision of Patna City Development Plan 2030 is as follows:
“To develop Patna as a vibrant national centre for growth with a focus on economic development, river front development, transport, heritage and tourism; a town that provides quality infrastructure services and facilities, good governance, planned development and clean environment.”
The identified vision forms the basis of sector-specific strategies adopted in framing the action plan.
Growth Strategies of Patna City Development plan 2030
- To assure adequate and equitable water supply daily and for reasonable length of time.
- To provide citywide coverage of sewerage and sanitation system to make it environmentally safe.
- To establish an effective rain water collection system thereby reducing mixing of rain and sullage water and reducing the incidence of water logging during monsoons.
- To establish and maintain an effective and sustainable waste management practice in the city.
- To improve the condition of roads and provide adequate, safe and user friendly public transportation in Patna.
- Service provision and universal access to all basic urban services at an affordable cost.