Panaji Master Plan 2041 has been created for Panaji. Panaji is a City Corporation located in Tiswadi taluk of North Goa district. It is the state capital of Goa and district head quarter of North Goa district. The Panaji CCP area has been reduced and confined only to the core city and its surroundings after the formation of Corporation in 2002. Panaji covers an area of 8.12 km2 with total population of 40,017 as per Census 2011. The city mainly functions as administrative and tourist hub of the state.
Panaji is well connected with two National Highway passing through it. The only airport of Goa, the Dabolim Airport is at a distance of 35 Kms and the nearest railway station of Karmali is 14 Kms away. Panaji is Goa’s fastest growing city after Vasco and Madgaon. It is spotted as one of the most attractive tourist destination centers in India, and attracts around 2.0 Lakhs national tourists and 0.35 Lakhs international tourist annually.
Panaji lies on the bank of the River Mandovi and is also bounded by two creeks, locally called “poi. It is located at 15.29° N Latitude & 73.49° E Longitude. It is at an average elevation of seven meters above mean sea level (MSL).
Vision of Panaji Master Plan 2041
Vision of Panaji Master Plan 2041 has been built on the three pillars of development which are economic growth, quality of life and environmental sustainability. Panaji has been one of the most preferred tourist destinations in the country.
“To develop Panaji as a clean, environment friendly and ecologically sustainable with a focus on improvement of the city urban infrastructure facilities, tourist infrastructure, conservation of the natural elements and heritage structures by adoption of eco friendly alternatives and techniques”
Goals of Panaji Master Plan 2041
Development goals of Panaji Master Plan 2041 have been framed on the basis of priority areas, to achieve the common goals for the city and to meet the desired sector specific service level benchmarks and indicators. Following are the goals of Panaji Master Plan 2041:
- Provision of designated commercial and trade areas
- Provision of good quality tourist infrastructure facilities
- Provide 24 X 7 water supply
- 100% coverage of sewerage system within the city
- Improve the storm water collection efficiency with provision of proper drainage system
- 100% door to door collection and segregation of waste at source
- 100% coverage of road network system with appropriate surface improvement
- To integrate the urban poor section with the main stream of the society through the provision of basic, physical infrastructure and social service and thus improve their quality of life.
- CCP to frame a policy to mitigate the various sources of pollution and conservation of natural resources in the city
- Making city well equipped with recreational areas
- Provide good quality tourist infrastructure
- Develop city based disaster management system