Ludhiana Master Plan 2021 has been made for Ludhiana. Ludhiana city is the district headquarter of Ludhiana district. It is the only metropolitan city of Punjab. Ludhiana is the largest city in Punjab, both in terms of area and population. The city is spread over an area of 159.37 sq. km and accommodates approximately 14.00 lacs population (2001 Census).
Being the hub of Indian small scale industry especially the hosiery, it is popularly known as ‘Manchester of India’. Besides being a commercial hub, the city of Ludhiana is also an important pilgrimage center with a number of Gurudwaras located within and around the place.
Government of Punjab through the Department of Town & Country Planning has made an attempt to prepare the Ludhiana Master Plan 2021 for Ludhiana City so as to control the haphazard urban sprawl and to bridge the gap between demand and supply of housing stock, commercial and industrial activity, water supply and sewer system, good road network, recreational and sports spaces and other social infrastructure etc.
The Local Planning Area Ludhiana includes 5 cities/towns namely, Ludhiana, Sahnewal, Doraha, Mullanpur and Phillaur and 301 villages. Out of these settlements, 4 towns and 288 villages’ settlements fall in the revenue boundary of Ludhiana district and one town and 19 villages’ settlements come under the jurisdiction of revenue district Jalandhar.
The task of preparation of Ludhiana Master Plan 2021 with the perspective year 2021 has been undertaken with the following objectives:-
- To make Ludhiana metropolis as the most vibrant economic centre to promote the balanced regional growth.
- To promote state of art physically planned, environmentally sustainable and socially equitable development of the city.
- To minimize haphazard, unplanned and sub-standard growth and development of the city and to achieve planned growth to create healthy environment.
- To make Ludhiana a city of multinucleated structure through planned dispersal of commercial and employment generating activities.
- To effectively manage the traffic and transportation within the city thorough the mechanism of rationalizing the landuse pattern defined in the Master Plan.
- To ensure safety, mobility and efficiency of inter and intra-city traffic.
- To improve regional road, rail and air connectivity of the city to make it a global, industrial and economic hub.
- To minimize travel within the city by creating self contained and self sufficient communities.
- To rationalize the distribution of physical and social infrastructure in order to ensure appropriate quality of life to all the residents of the city.
- To make land market more effective and efficient by making available sufficient amount of developed land for urban purposes at the most affordable cost.
- To optimize the use of available land resource through well defined development norms and to minimize diversion of valuable agricultural land for non-agricultural purposes.
- To minimize growth of slums by making informal sector integral part of city planning and development process.
- To create an efficient, comfortable and cost effective road/rail based rapid mass transportation system to minimize use of personal vehicles and to meet the existing and future travel needs of the city.
- To promote employment and economic development by leveraging on the existing strength of the city as major export centre, hub of small scale industries and financial capital of the State.
- To put in place a healthy and sustainable working , leisure and living
relationship for making Ludhiana as the most energy efficient city.