Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind Master Plan has been created for Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind Town. Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind town is located on Ambala-Ludhiana National Highway no.1 and thus is well connected through road linkages to other important towns/cities of Punjab as well U.T. Chandigarh. The town lies between 76°-22’ E to 76°- 25’ E longitudes and 30°-36’ to N 30°-39’ N latitude. The town is located on Ambala-Ludhiana G.T. Road at distance of about 28km from Rajpura and 65 kms from Ludhiana and 30 kms from Patiala 52 km away from Chandigarh. It is well connected with road and railway network having facility of Sirhind junction railway station on Delhi-Amritsar broad-gauge double railway line and another Sirhind-Nangal railway line and Fatehgarh Sahib Railway station on it.
Fatehgarh Sahib town having great historical, religious and archaeological background has derived its name from the name of historic Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib which was named after the name of Sahibzada Fateh Singh, the younger of the two martyred sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Fatehgarh Sahib was given the status of a town on December, 1996 by forming a Nagar panchayat that was later on merged with the Sirhind Municipal Council on April 8, 1998. Now this town is officially known as Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind and is the district head quarter of district Fatehgarh Sahib. Thereafter deriving impetus from it being a centre of religious importance along with it being a seat of great administrative and other activities, pleasant environment and strategic location near to Chandigarh as well as industrial town Gobindgarh, the town not only catered to its own requirements but also of its surrounding area.
Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind Master Plan 2031 LPA
Therefore, recognizing the immediate need for regulating the development in its catchment/influence area, Govt. of Punjab declared the L.P.A. Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind on 29-01-2008 and designated the Chief Town Planner, Punjab as the Planning agency for preparation of Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind Master Plan 2031 of L.P.A. Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind comprising of category III Fatehgarh Sahib-Sirhind town having Type B municipal status along with adjoining 132 villages covering an area of 33354 Hectare out of which 19.15 sq.kms. is municipal area and the remaining is rural. According to 2001 census, the total population of L.P.A Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind was 149140 out of which 49825 was urban.
Vision Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind Master Plan 2031
Keeping in consideration the historical/religious importance of town and its present administrative and institutional character, to develop the town as a religious-cum-tourist, administrative and institutional centre and to provide good quality of life to all its existing and future residents irrespective of caste, creed, gender, along with economical and social status for sustainable development.
Keeping in view the planning problems elaborated earlier, the town needs proper planning so that these problems are well taken care of and fulfill the following objectives:-
- Planning of Local Planning Area is planned as an integrated single entity as an integrated single entity for Fatehgarh Sahib – Sirhind Master Plan 2031.
- To co-relate the growth trends within Local Planning Area with the growth trends / development proposals of the adjoining Local Planning Areas.
- To develop the economic base of the town by providing planned industrial area and improved organized commercial centre at the sectoral level.
- To achieve improved hygienic & sanitary conditions by providing a proper system of sewerage, surface drainage and better drinking water facilities in the town.
- To achieve balanced development of Social, Cultural-Recreational amenities & other public facilities through provision of planned parks, open spaces, playgrounds; social & cultural centers etc. to meet the needs of the population, both at Sector & City level.
- To increase the accessibility of the area to the region.
- To make the town development self financing.
- To effect minimum dislocation of people and their activities.
- To make land allocation in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- To make land available for public purpose.
Other objectives related to urban management, urban finance and local economic development etc. are outside the scope of Master Plan and hence not deliberated because the scope of master plan is confined to the broad proposals and allocation of land for various uses such as residential, industrial, commercial, recreational, public and semi-public etc.