Coimbatore Master Plan 2021 has been created for Coimbatore District. Coimbatore is a major city in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The city of Coimbatore is the administrative headquarters of the district. The region is bounded by Tiruppur district in the east, Nilgiris district in the north, Erode district in the north-east, Palghat district and Idukki district of neighboring state of Kerala in the west and south respectively. The city is served by the Coimbatore International Airport at Peelamedu 15 km from the city centre.
The total population of Coimbatore is 3,458,045. Males constitute 50% of the total population while females constitute 50% of the total population. The latitude of Coimbatore is 11.004556 and the longitude is 76.961632. It is located between the 11° 0′ 16.4016” N and 76° 57′ 41.8752” E.
Proposals of Coimbatore Master Plan 2021
- In order to reduce the heavy vehicular traffic in the inner city and to serve as newly developed and under developing areas the following sub arterial roads are suggested for immediate implementation-:
- Nava India road may be widened and well connected with Avinashi Road.
- Connecting Mettupalayam road and Sathyamanglam road after widening of existing Nallapalyam road passing through Sanganallur Village and Ganapathy village.
- A western link road connecting existing Ukkadam Selva Puram road may be extended to Kumarapalyam village, Telungupalayam village up to Thadaagm road at Vellandipalyam as shown in the proposed Master Plan Map.
- Relocation of wholesale vegetable marketing activities from Thiyagi kumaran market to outskirt of corporation limit in the Mettupalayam road and 50% of the space may be used for two wheeler and four wheeler parking by a fiscal method without any loss of income to Municipal Corporation.
Railway over Bridges
- Avarampalyam railway over bridge
- Vilankurichy railway over bridge
- Mini flyover at Rathnapuri
- At present, there are so many pedestrian crossing exists in the city.
- Hence it is suggested to construct subways in these places at the earliest. The proposed pedestrian subways are shown in the propose land use map of Coimbatore Corporation.
Development Goals of Coimbatore Master Plan 2021
- Socially beneficial
- Regionally connected
- Environmentally sustainable
- Financially Viable
- Institutionally Executable and;
- Politically acceptable