Begusarai Master Plan 2030 has been created for Begusarai. Begusarai is the administrative headquarter of Begusarai district and has a total population of 93,741 as per Census 2001. It is located in the north central part of Bihar. The River Ganga forms its southern boundary. Begusarai was designated as a Municipal Corporation in 2010.
From 1973 to 2010, Begusarai was a Municipal Council. The revised Corporation area includes ten Gram Panchayats and the Indian Oil Corporation’s (IOC) Township. The total area of the Begusarai
Municipal Council (BMC) is 8.98 sq. As per Census 2001, Begusarai town had 20 wards. Subsequently, the ward boundaries were redrawn and their number increased to 36. Following its notification as a Municipal Corporation, ward boundaries were redrawn and today the town has 45 wards. The CDP focuses on 36 wards.
Begusarai has good connectivity. The town is situated on NH-31 and has good connectivity with the state capital Patna. This road acts as a gateway to the north-eastern states and is a key factor for improvements in trade and other activities. The town has a well established industrial base with major units such as thermal power station and petro-chemicals factory & oil refinery complex at Barauni as well as ancillary units that contribute to employment in the town. The town therefore has a high growth potential.
Vision of Begusarai Master Plan 2030
The vision for Begusarai Master Plan 2030 was derived on the basis of the status assessment of the city, stakeholder consultations and focused group discussions. Participatory consultations during the visioning process concluded that there has been stagnation in the quality of life in the town over the years. The consensus was on the need to revive growth and improve the overall quality of life. The identified Vision is as follows:
“To enhance the economic prosperity of all citizens of Begusarai by capitalizing on its existing industrial base with concerted improvements in governance and services.”
The identified vision of Begusarai Master Plan 2030 forms the basis of sector-specific strategies adopted in framing the action plan.
The Begusarai Master Plan 2030 focuses the following sectors – water supply; sewerage & sanitation; storm water drainage; solid waste management; roads, traffic & transportation; street lighting; urban poverty & housing; urban heritage & tourism; and urban environment & social amenities
Growth Strategies of Begusarai Master Plan 2030
- To assure adequate and equitable water supply daily and for reasonable length of time.
- To provide citywide coverage of sewerage and sanitation system to make it environmentally safe.
- To establish an effective rain water collection system thereby reducing mixing of rain and sullage water and reducing the incidence of water logging during monsoons.
- To establish and maintain an effective and sustainable waste management practice in the city.
- To improve the condition of roads and provide adequate, safe and user friendly public transportation in Begusarai.
- Service provision and universal access to all basic urban services at an affordable cost.